Tower Radiology's Breast Diagnostic Center - Northside Has Been A Designated ACR Breast Imaging Center of Excellence Since 2008!!
5 Major Benefits of a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
Tower Radiology's Breast Diagnostic Center - Northside earning a breast imaging accreditation is no cake walk. The American College of Radiology (ACR) designates a breast imaging center of excellence on several factors. The center must pass rigorous, though voluntary, breast imaging accreditation programs and modules. The holy grail of breast imaging, mammography, is a cornerstone of a breast imaging center of excellence, as facilities must pass the ACR's mandatory Mammography Accreditation Program.
But what exactly are the advantages of being a breast imaging center of excellence? Tower Radiology's Breast Diagnostic Center - Northside was Tampa's first Breast Imaging Center of Excellence designated by the ACR. Five of the biggest benefits a patient can count on when a hospital or health system is a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
1. Modality accreditation. Achieving BICOE status puts a gold star not just on a hospital's mammography but other modalities as well. Breast ultrasound, Breast MRI & breast biopsy modalities are all accredited under the center of excellence designation.
2. Enhanced personnel training. Physicians, technologists, radiologists and physicists all require additional training and education in the accredited modalities. This enhanced training ensures that staff are proficient in the most recent breast imaging developments.
3. Increased research abilities. Physicians within BICOEs are able to peer review colleagues, leading to more dialogue and helpful discussion in breast imaging topics.
4. New breast imaging technologies. Katie J. Lester, MD are exploring the idea of bringing a new cutting edge advanced breast imaging modality, Molecular Breast Imaging (MBI), to Tampa. "Breast cancer can be missed on mammograms in patients with dense breast tissue. MBI is an emerging breast specific tool using nuclear medicine to help diagnose breast cancer, particularly useful in the subgroup of women with dense breast tissue. A radiotracer is injected into the veins and travels to breast cancer cells. The breast is imaged with a gamma camera. If cancer is present, it lights up like a light bulb, negating the dense breast tissue," said Dr. Lester. She hopes Tower Breast Diagnostic Center will be the first in Tampa to utilize this new technology.
5. Higher reputation. Back in the 1950s, women with breast cancer had as high a risk of dying as people with lung cancer, but mammography and the science of breast imaging have cut the death rate and saved women's lives by detecting breast problems earlier. Achieving BICOE status shows the level of commitment a hospital has to fighting breast disease, a social cause and movement that has grown significantly.
- Digital Sreeening & Diagnostic Mammography
- Breast Ultrasound
- MRI-Guided Breast Biopsy
- Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy
- Stereotactic-Guided Breast Biopsy
- Bone Density / DEXA
To Schedule an Appointment at this Center or another Tower Center located throughout Hillsborough and East Pasco Counties, please call (813) 874-3177