April is National Donate Life Month! To create awareness don't forget to wear blue or green tomorrow Friday April 20th!
Everyone is encouraged to wear blue and green as a part of Donate Life America’s initiative to register 20 Million new organ, eye, and tissue donors in 2012 by drawing attention to this lifesaving decision both locally and nationally. Create your best blue and green look and post it to the Donate Life America Facebook page for a chance to win $100!
This day is to honor of all those who have made the decision to give life, to focus attention on the extreme need for organ donation, and to encourage people to consider giving life through organ donation.
Her are the Facts
Although there have been advances in medical technology and donation, the demand for organ, eye and tissue donation still vastly exceeds the number of donors.
- More than 100,000 men, women and children currently need life-saving organ transplants.
- Every 10 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 18 people die each day from the lack of available organs for transplant.
- In 2011, there were 8,127 deceased organ donors and 6,017 living organ donors resulting in 28,535 organ transplants.
- Last year, more than 42,000 grafts were made available for transplant by eye banks within the United States.
- According to research, 98% of all adults have heard about organ donation and 86% have heard of tissue donation.
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor